In this section we will walk you through setting up a working configuration which you can test with the Virtual AP, this will demonstrate a working solution before trying to associate with any physical LAN equipment. It is assumed you have access to a Captivnet System in the cloud.
We need three elements with a shared site Tag to be successful.
To follow this guide you'll need the following:
- Access to a licensed domain or a test domain. If you don't have access please speak to your domain admin or email@example.com
- Read and write permissions to the three modules and Settings menu
Step One - Network
In this step we'll create a network device to simulate the test gateway.
- On the home page click on Network
- Click on ADD DEVICE
- Enter NAME Virtual Gateway
- Enter MAC 11-22-33-44-55-66
- Select VENDOR Captive.net (test AP)
- Select your TIME ZONE
- DESCRIPTION Optional
- Select ADD TAG
- TAG TYPE Site
- NAME Test Site
- Select TIMEZONE
- Type your location name and use google maps lookup to select.
- CONTROLLER Leave blank
- Click on CREATE PUBLIC LINK
- NAME add a name after /demo/
- SAVE (This will create the public URL that you can use to test from any web connected device)
Step Two - Service Tiers
Now we'll define the experience a user will receive by allocating bandwidth speed, session timeouts for example.
- On the home page click on Service Tiers
- Click on ADD SERVICE TIER
- NAME enter Free
- PRICE Enter 0
- CURRENCY Choose you local currency
- TAG TYPE Select Site
- TAG VALUE Select Test Site
- SAVE - The Service Tier will save and then open below. Navigate to the GENERAL tab.
- ATTRIBUTES Here select BANDWIDTH UP and then BANDWIDTH DOWN and use the drop down menus to set 5 mbit/s for both
Step Three - Basic Portal
So we now need to setup a simple portal that the guests will see when they connect to the network.
- On the home page click on Portal Design
- Click on ADD PORTAL
- NAME Test Portal
- TEMPLATE blank
- TAG TYPE Site
- VALUE Test Site
- SAVE -The Portal will save and then open below. Scroll down and select LOGIN PAGE CONTENT.
- Click ADD CONTENT (We're going to add an email registration option)
- Click INTERNAL AUTHENTICATION / REGISTRATION
- Click SELF REGISTRATION
- NAME no change
- Click + MORE
- FIELD Select email
- USED TO AUTHENTICATE Tick the box
- STORE DATA INTO email
- SERVICE TIER Select Free
- SAVE (if you want to test Facebook and Google+ you can click on them and allocate the same Service Tier)
- Click top right PUBLISH
You will now have a working configuration which you can test through the virtual AP