It is possible to create a virtualized AP which can be used for portal and authentication testing. The virtual AP can be associated with a custom generated URL link that can be sent out for testing purposes. The following article will demonstrate how to set up a virtual AP.
- Navigate to the 'NETWORK' tab in the left menu bar.
- Click 'ADD DEVICE'.
- Give your device a name and create a random 12 digit MAC address.
- When selecting a vendor make sure to select Captive.net (test AP).
- Select the appropriate site tag (Tag that the target portal is associated with)
- Leave the 'Controller' drop down empty.
When the above steps are complete, there will be a new entry in the network table. This is the Virtual AP.
Creating a Public Link
Creating a public link is a great way to share portal designs and authentication methods in a live testing environment to those that are not able to log in to the actual network.
- To create a public link simply click on the Test AP in the Network table and navigate to the 'CREATE PUBLIC LINK' button at the bottom right.
- Click the button and a public link dialog will appear
- Add an end to the URL link
- Hit 'SAVE'
- Wait a few seconds whilst the AP initialises
- The link will be ready to share